This variation on a traditional classic is a little lighter and more child friendly than its original form with coffee and liquor. You can adapt this recipe to suit your needs.
Sponge Cake (Can be made up to 2 days ahead)
Ingredients (for 23 cm round spring form pan):
5 large eggs
150 grams sugar
150 grams flour
1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
2) Using whisk attachment of a standing mixer, beat eggs and sugar for 15 mins on high until mixture is a light colour and ribbon mixture sits on top instead of sinking into batter immediately.
3) Sift flour into egg mixture and gently mix in with a wooden spoon or spatula. Do not overmix, tap or flatten or you risk deflating the mixture.
4) Bake in oven for 30 mins or until top is golden brown and tooth pick comes out clean.
Traditionally Tiramisu has raw eggs in the cream, we've gone for a lighter version here.
500 grams Mascarpone cheese
300 ml Whipping cream
60 grams Sugar
1) Using whisk attachment of a standing mixer or a hand held mixer, beat ingredients together until smooth cream forms.
Prepared and Cooled Sponge cake
1) Dilute Jam with a little water.
2) Using a glass bowl or baking dish, begin to dip sponge cake into diluted jam (both sides) and then line the bottom of the dish. Once the bottom layer is covered, add cream on top. Continue until components are finished or the dish is full.
3) Set in fridge for 30 mins - 1 hour.